I have been ordered deported by the Immigration Judge. Now what?

In this June 2, 2009 photo, the Statue of Liberty is seen in New York harbor. The crown is set to open July 4 after being closed since shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)[/caption]I am sorry to hear that. Being ordered deported by an immigration judge is serious and unfortunate. Being denied asylum, adjustment of status (green card) or a waiver such as cancellation of removal is paralizing. Although some people are deported for criminal convictions, most immigrants are simply deported because they have overstayed their visas or because they are illegals.

However, you must understand that being deported by a judge does not mean that you are done and that you have to leave the United States. You still have rights. Bellow are some suggestions:

1- Reserve your right to appeal the judge’s decision

2-File a timely appeal – this means within 30 days of the judge’s order – meaning you have to file your appeal A.S.A.P.

3- Get advice from a different attorney. I am not saying you should not continue your case with your attorney but a second opinion will not hurt.

4-Keep your attorney informed of any changes in your life. Changes may make you eligible for new ways to try to stay in the United States. Some examples are: Getting married to a United States Citizen. Your U.S. born child turning 21. You become a victim of a violent crime. You discover previously unavailable evidence. Something major happens in your home country.

5- If you are being deported because of a criminal conviction, see if you would qualify for “post-conviction releif”. Talk to a criminal attorney with such experience. Not all criminal attorneys can help.

6- By the same token, keep in touch with your attorney. Laws change and what you did not qualify for yesterday, you may qualify for tomorrow.

7- Learn about immigration laws as much as you can. Remember, you are your best friend and to no one your immigration status matters most than to yourself.

Call me if you have any questions about immigration. I am an immigrant myself and I do provide free consultation. I have legalized many people in this country and may be able to do the same for you. You never know.